Tuesday 30 July 2019

Being at the Sharklab while on the Autism spectrum - by Maddie Koeplin

I’m not supposed to like erratic schedules, or having plans change on a dime. That is a common trait seen among people on the autism spectrum - including me. Biology, especially field biology, is full of changing plans, missing equipment, nothing going right, or nothing happening when things do go right. That is life at the Sharklab - and I love it.
I knew I wanted to be a biologist since I learned the meaning of the word in it’s most basic sense (the study of life) at age eight, years before I was ever diagnosed with ASD (autism spectrum disorder). Biology, especially zoology, became my all- encompassing passion in life, which is what ultimately lead me here, to the Sharklab. Being around people as passionate about sharks and conservation as I am, and working with those people to meet common goals is thrilling and far outweighs my discomfort in the fact that the lab is crowded and, often, very loud.

I have the same start of the day as everyone else. I get up at the knock, eat breakfast while barely awake, get dressed, take care of the boat I was assigned to, and wait for a staff member to tell us the plan for the day. It’s routine. Mental preparation is key for me, so knowing what the plan is for the day is almost a necessity. If we are going out on the boats for anything, I get myself prepared for the fact that there will be a lot of vibrations, noise, and being squished together. I love going out on the boats, and that love makes the discomfort worth it. If I’m giving a tour, I go over what I need to say, and remind myself I need to ask the people on the tour what they are interested in learning about. As nerve-wracking as tours can be for me (speaking to people I don’t know is something I have a hard time with), it’s actually a chance for me to talk about something I have a lot of passion for without people zoning out on me.
 
© Karlee Orvis

Life at the Sharklab is hectic, loud, crowded, and disorganized - no matter how often we reorganize the lab and kitchen. Life at the Sharklab is also incredible in all the positive ways. There is always more laughter than complaining (sometimes the only way to get through the fifth thunderstorm you have spent in the mangroves is to laugh about it). Even though I find certain things uncomfortable that most people don’t, I wouldn’t have the Sharklab any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment